The University of Louisville’s faculty and staff bring more than their professional skillsets to campus every day. They embrace and embody the passion, dynamism and innovation characteristic of a quality higher education experience.
On April 18, Interim President Lori Stewart Gonzalez and Interim Provost Gerry Bradley conferred the 2022 Presidential Excellence Awards during the Celebration of Faculty and Staff. The awards recognize the employees whose personal and professional commitments to student success impact the entire university community.
Here are this year’s winners.
Cardinal Principles Champions
The Cardinal Principles Champions award honors faculty and staff who demonstrate one of the Cardinal Principles at the highest level of impact.
• Kathy Meyer, Community of Care
• Asma Addarrat-Edwards, Accountability
• Leondra Gully, Respect
• Nakia Strickland, Diversity and Inclusion
• Avery Kolers, Integrity and Transparency
• Mani Vangalur, Noble Purpose
• Cecilia Peredo, Agility
• Dwayne Compton, Leadership
Distinguished Faculty Awards
These awards honor faculty who bring distinction to the university through their commitment to the areas of service, teaching and outstanding scholarship, research and creative activity.
Outstanding Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity
• Jun Yan, School of Medicine, Basic and Applied Sciences
• Kristi Maxwell, College of Arts and Sciences, Creative and Performing Arts
• Donald Miller, School of Medicine, Career Achievement
• Manju Ahuja, College of Business, Social Sciences
• Andrew Rabin, College of Arts and Sciences, Humanities
• Chris Fitzgerald, School of Music, Service to UofL
• Fannie Cox, University Libraries, Career of Service
• Jose Fernandez, College of Business, Service to the Profession
• Anne Wallis, School of Public Health and Information Sciences, National/International Service
• Sharon Moore, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science, Service to the Community, the Commonwealth and/or the Region
Distinguished Teaching Professor
• Matthieu Dalle, College of Arts and Sciences, Full-time
• Tamer Inanc, Speed School of Engineering, Full-time
• Kimcherie Lloyd, School of Music, Full-time
• John Wise, Sr., School of Medicine, Full-time
• Edgardo Mansilla, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science, Part-time
George J. Howe Distinguished Staff Award
This award recognizes the contributions of an extraordinary UofL staff member who exemplifies the traits of its namesake George J. Howe (humility, generosity, and excellence in leadership) as well as the Cardinal Principles. This staff member’s career has had an exceptional impact on the university and its vision to be a great place to learn, work, and in which to invest.
• Marvin Mitchell, Senior Associate Athletic Director
Outstanding Performance Award
The Outstanding Performance Award recognizes university staff who inspire others through their outstanding dedication and commitment to UofL.
• John Burton, Library Specialist, University Libraries – Technical Services
• Connie Cox, Coordinator, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science
• James Creg, Program Manager, Department of Continuing Medical Education
• Robert Fry, Database Analyst, University Planning, Design & Construction
• Victoria King, Custodian, Physical Plant
• Colleen Martin, Director, Student Disability Resource Center
• Christy Metzger, Program Director, Student Success Center
• Betty Nunn, Administrative Specialist, Bioengineering
• Steven Riley, Scientific Instrumentation Specialist, Chemistry
• Vanessa Streble, Administrative Associate, UofL Innovation & Commercialization
Outstanding Supervisor Award
This award recognizes supervisors who create a culture of engagement that includes supporting the development of team members and sending a strong, consistent message of respect, compassion and trustworthiness.
• Amber Roberts, Director of Undergrad Academic Student Services, College of Education and Human Development Office of Undergraduate Advising and Student Development
Team Impact Award
Team impact Award winners honor a team of dedicated employees who work collaboratively to realize their vision.
• The Prevention, Education and Advocacy on Campus and in the Community (PEACC) Center – Tisha Pletcher, Lamont Johnson, Kathleen Elsherif, Kayla Ray and Alyssa Collina
Presidential Commission Awards
Commission on Diversity and Racial Equity
• Presidential Exemplary Multicultural Teaching Award: Cynthia Ganote
• Presidential Exemplary Multicultural Staff Award: Shirley Wu
• CODRE Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resident Leader Award: Abbas Rattani
• CODRE Commissioner of the Year Award: Maria Tinnell
Commission on the Status of Women
• COSW Catalyst: Karen Christopher
• COSW Champion of Advocacy: Stella Wang
• COSW Champion of Communications: Leondra Gully
• COSW Climate & Equity Champion: Riece Hamilton
• COSW Commissioner of the Year: Heidi Neal
• COSW Volunteer of the Year: Meagan West