The University of Louisville seeks nominations and applications from within the university community for the position of Executive Vice President and University Provost (“Provost”). The Provost is the Chief Academic Officer and, as such, is critical to the university’s strategic effort to improve overall quality and excellence in teaching, research, and service and to ensure the implementation of policies fundamental to the success of the institution’s endeavors. The Provost is administratively second in overall authority, reports directly to the President, and serves as a member of the Office of the President, which is the senior leadership team of the university. All Deans report to the Provost.
Below is the position description for Provost and click here for the listing of qualifications, experience requisites, characteristics, and other related attributes that the university seeks in successful candidates for this position. Interested applicants should address the preceding elements, along with credentials, in all materials submitted for consideration by the Search Committee.
The Search Committee is comprised of Faculty, Students, Staff, Alumni, Trustees, Overseers, Deans and Foundation Directors that represent both the Belknap and Health Sciences Campuses. The timeline for the search is aggressive and the deadline for nominations and applications is close of business on Monday, February 1, 2016.
UPDATE: The application deadline has been extended to Monday, Feb. 15, 2016.
Please send letters of interest or nominations to:
Provost Search Committee
c/o Office of the President
University of Louisville
Grawemeyer Hall, Suite 102
Louisville, KY 40292
The Search Committee hopes to make its recommendation to the President by late February so that candidates may meet with constituency groups in March, and the President can take a recommendation to the Board of Trustees in April.
Executive Vice President and University Provost
I. Position Summary
The Executive Vice President and University Provost serves as the Chief Academic Officer of the university, and as the second in overall authority. All Deans report to the Executive Vice President and University Provost. The Executive Vice President and University Provost is a member of the Office of the President, which is the senior leadership team of the university.
Reports directly to the President.
II. Office of the President Responsibilities
- Serves as Acting President when the President is absent.
- Advise the President on university policies, programs and operations.
- Seek appropriately balanced input from multiple perspectives and constituencies in a collaborative and respectful manner.
- Participate in team-based decision-making and support the decisions of the leadership team and the President.
- Provide leadership in assessment and revision of the strategic plan.
- Provide leadership across the institution in support and implementation of the strategic plan.
- Establish university-wide measures of institutional effectiveness and monitor progress relative to specific annual and long-term goals.
- Communicate results of institutional assessment to stakeholders, constituencies and the public.
- Allocate university resources in a manner consistent with the goals of the strategic plan as approved by the President and the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure that the university fosters diversity and equity.
- Promote integration of programs and initiatives of the Belknap Campus and the Health Sciences Campus.
- Support an environment that recognizes excellence and promotes a positive atmosphere of achievement and pride for students, faculty and staff.