A $450,000 pledge to support academics and engaged learning will bolster the university’s K-12 engineering and STEM+H pipeline with Central High School and other West Louisville schools.
The gift, from former Speed School alumni fellow Scott McReynolds ’86 and his wife Jennifer ’84, also represents the kickoff to Raise Some L, UofL’s annual day of giving.
Beginning at 6:02 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 18, and continuing through midnight, Wednesday, Oct. 19, Raise Some L runs for 1,798 minutes in honor of UofL’s founding year. The 30-hour drive, traditionally held during Homecoming Week, is a chance for the Cardinal Community to support students, research and campus initiatives that help build a better world.
The opportunities created by the gift will help underprivileged youth gain critical skills to tackle the world’s problems. The $450,000 donation will provide last dollar scholarships, tutoring and bridge programming, Robotics Research Fellowships within the Louisville Automation and Robotics Research Institute (LARRI), summer research experiences for Central High School students at LARRI and an immersive learning experience trip to Boston, Massachusetts, the hub of robotics research and innovation.
“Gifts like these are inspiring and life-changing,” Interim President Lori Stewart Gonzalez said. “This generous support and other funds raised during our annual day of giving will help fuel the success of our students, advance our research and innovation initiatives and improve our community.”
There have also been several sizable donations that have already been pledged in advance of the day including:
- Three gifts to the School of Medicine designated for research in the amounts of $1 million, $400,000 and $100,000 from anonymous donors
- $50,000 gift to the Community Band in the School of Music from an anonymous donor
- $33,675 gift to the Breonna Taylor Memorial Scholarship Endowment by Jill Whitten in memory of her parents Ann W. and Donald J. Roth
- $25,000 gift to establish the Karlynn BrintzenhofeSzoc “Scholars in Healthcare Social Work” Scholarship, funded by Ronald Z. Szoc and Karlynn BrintzenhofeSzoc
- $15,000 challenge match that will support various areas across the university by Hank and Rebecca Conn
- $10,000 gift to the UofL Health Brown Cancer Center by Jason Chesney
- $10,000 match gift for the LGBTQ Center by Steve Bass
“UofL’s Day of Giving Campaign is a great way to support the continued success of the Cardinal community by making a gift to an area that inspires you,” Interim Vice President for Advancement Julie Dials said. “This year’s Day of Giving is especially critical as we navigate challenging times to help create thriving futures for our students.”
Raise Some L 2022 begins at 6:02 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 18 and runs through midnight, Wednesday, Oct. 19. Interested participants can make a gift to any area of the university at RaiseSomeL.org.
In addition to online giving, in-person donations may be made at the Raise Some L Belknap Campus and Health Sciences Campus headquarters from 10 a.m.- 2 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 19.
The Student Organization for Alumni Relations will be stationed at Raise Some L headquarters at the quads of both campuses with snacks, activities and additional information. Share the word about Raise Some L by using #RaiseSomeL.
For information on other UofL Homecoming Week events, please visit the Homecoming calendar.