“I owe a lot to those teachers,” he said at a dinner Oct. 27 where the Alumni Association honored him as the 2011 UofL Alumnus of the Year.
A 1955 graduate, Ulmer is a former chairman of UofL’s Board of Trustees and has been an adviser and mentor to the university’s College of Business.
“I try to give back to the university as much as I can,” Ulmer noted.
He also has been active in the community, serving in leadership roles for such organizations as the Metro United Way, Operation Brightside, Fund for the Arts, Metro Parks and the Chamber of Commerce.
Besides Ulmer, the Alumni Association also honored 10 new Alumni Fellows. Selected by their respective schools and colleges, the fellows share their experiences and expertise with current students.
Here is the 2011 class of alumni fellows:
- Angela Ford, College of Arts and Sciences
- Robinson S. Brown III, College of Business
- Robert McGuinn, School of Dentistry
- Kent Solheim, College of Education and Human Development
- Yung T. Nguyen, J.B. Speed School of Engineering
- Howard Fineman, Brandeis School of Law
- Larry Cook, School of Medicine
- Terry Cravens, School of Music
- Charlotte Ipsan, School of Nursing
- Alfonso Batres, Kent School of Social Work