Hughes is a managing partner and co-founder of Primary Care Medical Center in Murray, Ky. He earned his MD from the School of Medicine in 1981, and later served as chief resident in the department of family practice in 1984. Hughes serves as the chair of the board of trustees.
The UofL Alumni Association established the Alumnus of the Year Award and the Alumni Fellows program in 1983. These awards recognize graduates who have distinguished themselves in their chosen fields and are exemplary ambassadors for the university and their college or school. Recipients reflect the high standing and character of their alma mater.
Hughes and the Alumni Fellows will be recognized at the 32nd Alumni Awards celebration on October 16, 2014, as part of the homecoming festivities.
The 2014 Alumni Fellows are:
- College of Arts and Sciences: Barbara Perry, 78A
- College of Business: Diane B. Medley, 80B
- School of Dentistry: Arthur C. Jee, 75DMD
- College of Education and Human Development: Blake Haselton, 04GE
- J.B. Speed School of Engineering: Alan A. Keier, 76S, 77GS
- Louis D. Brandeis School of Law: Lucy L. Helm, 79BA, 82L
- School of Medicine: Morton L. Kasdan, 63MD
- School of Music: Mike Tracy, 74MU, 89GMU
- School of Nursing: Kristin B. Ashford, 00GN
- School of Public Health and Information Sciences: Caroline Chan, 07GP, 12GP
- Raymond A. Kent School of Social Work: Larry Michalczyk, 76GK
Read more about the 2014 Alumnus of the Year and Alumni Fellows at UofLalumni.org/fellows14.