Students, faculty and staff,
The NCAA tournament is an important opportunity for the university to showcase itself and our community to the nation. We encourage our students, faculty and staff to attend the events in Atlanta and New Orleans.
Therefore, students attending the men’s or women’s Final Four will be excused from classes through the duration of the Cardinals’ participation. I expect instructors to allow make-up work or make other appropriate arrangements with them.
Due to the tournament, we will make some changes around campus (Editor’s note: View map in the Courier-Journal to see changes):
- To help prevent damage to personal and university property, the yellow (resident) parking lot north of Kurz Hall will be closed from noon Saturday through the morning after the men’s team plays its last game. It is tentatively scheduled to reopen at noon on Tuesday, April 9.
- Parking will not be permitted Saturday or Monday on Fourth Street between Bloom and Industry Boulevard, Third Street between Bloom and Eastern Parkway, Unity Place, Cardinal Boulevard between Third and Fourth, and Brandeis between Third and Fourth.
- Parking also will not be permitted this weekend in the blue lot between Brandeis and Cardinal and after noon Saturday on both sides of Unity Place and in the recently added spaces on the Chevron property. All resident parking should move to the Edwards property lot across the railroad tracks from Kurz Hall. Extra security will be on duty throughout the weekend, and the pedestrian bridge will be open.
- Beginning at 6 p.m. on Saturday and, if necessary, again on Monday, Third Street will be closed between Bloom and Eastern Parkway. Fourth Street will be closed between Bloom and Industry Road. Cardinal will be closed from Fourth Street to First Street.
- Cardinal Boulevard, Brandeis Avenue and Bloom Street will be closed between Third and Fourth streets. Unity Place also will be closed. Additional roadblocks will be set up, eliminating access to the interior of campus, fraternity row and affiliated housing on Fourth Street.
- Cars left in these areas will be towed at the owner’s expense.
- To further protect our students, if the men win their Saturday evening game, all Monday classes beginning at or after 4:15 p.m. will be canceled. If the women win their Sunday evening game, all Tuesday classes beginning at or after 4:15 p.m. will be canceled.
Thank you for your understanding and support. The teams are bringing significant national recognition to our university. We should all support their efforts and enjoy the ride.