University of Louisville’s ongoing success relies on the personal gifts and professional talents of a workforce more than 7,000 strong. Driven by the university’s strategic vision to be a great place to learn, discover, connect and work, UofL’s faculty and staff work tirelessly to set the standard for higher education.
The University of Louisville Employee Success Center conferred the 2023 Presidential Excellence Awards during the awards reception, which took place April 13. The awards recognize the employees whose exemplary commitments to student success impact the entire university community.
Here are this year’s winners.
George J. Howe Distinguished Staff Award
The annual George J. Howe Distinguished Staff Award recognizes the contributions of an extraordinary University of Louisville staff member who exemplifies the traits of its namesake George J. Howe (humility, generosity and excellence in leadership) as well as the Cardinal Principles. This staff member’s career has had an exceptional impact on the university.
- Margaret Pentecost, Assistant Dean, College of Education and Human Development
The Board of Trustees of the University of Louisville established The Trustees Award in 1989 to honor faculty who individually impact the future of our students. The award is intended to recognize faculty who have had, currently or in the past, an extraordinary impact on students.
- Nefertiti Burton, Professor and Chair, Department of Theatre Arts
Cardinal Principles Champions
The Cardinal Principles Champions Award honors faculty and staff who demonstrate one of the Cardinal Principles at the highest level of impact.
- Jason Beare, Community of Care
- Michel Ball, Accountability
- Kamari Wooten, Respect
- John Chenault, Diversity and Inclusion
- Karen Blake, Integrity and Transparency
- Gordon Stout, Noble Purpose
- Jessica Jackey, Agility
- Michelle Rodems, Leadership
Distinguished Faculty Awards
These awards honor faculty who bring distinction to the university through their commitment to the areas of service, teaching and outstanding scholarship, research and creative activity.
- Outstanding Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity
- Kevin Walsh, Speed School of Engineering, Basic and Applied Sciences
- Christopher Brody, School of Music, Creative and Performing Arts
- Janice Sullivan, School of Medicine, Career Achievement
- Lesley Harris, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science, Social Sciences
- Simona Bertacco, College of Arts and Sciences, Humanities
- Distinguished Service
- Emma Sterrett-Hong, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science, Service to UofL
- Susan Galandiuk, School of Medicine, Career of Service
- W. Mark McGinley, Speed School of Engineering, Service to the Profession
- Ayman El-Baz, Speed School of Engineering, National/International Service
- Melissa Currie, School of Medicine, Service to the Community, the Commonwealth and/or the Region
Distinguished Teaching Professor
- Denise Cumberland, College of Education and Human Development, Full-time
- Shamus McNamara, Speed School of Engineering, Full-time
- Shawnise Miller, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science, Full-time
- Chad Sloan, School of Music, Full-time
- T Cantrell, College of Arts and Sciences, Part-time
Outstanding Performance Award
The Outstanding Performance Award recognizes university staff (both exempt and nonexempt) who inspire others through their outstanding dedication and commitment to UofL.
- Katie Adamchik, Director of Student Success, Student Success Center
- Kenneth Carey, General Maintenance Mechanic, Physical Plant
- Jennifer Foreman, Program Manager, Kent School of Social Work and Family Science
- Carissa Gentry, Program Coordinator Senior, Center for Military-Connected Students
- Adam Gibson, IT Systems Support Analyst, School of Nursing, Information Technology
- Alex Isham, Manager, Technical Services, Speed School – Bioengineering
- Karen Ramsey, Administrative Assistant, Department of Medicine-Infectious Diseases
- Rob Smith, Commercialization Manager, Office of Research and Innovation
- M. Yvette Stith, Administrative Assistant, Graduate School
- Charles Williams, Locksmith, Physical Plant
Outstanding Supervisor Award
Great supervisors create a culture of engagement that includes supporting the development of team members and sending a strong, consistent message of respect, compassion and trustworthiness.
- Anthony Kron, Program Assistant Senior, Physical Plant
Team Impact Award
Team Impact Award winners honor a team of dedicated employees who work collaboratively to realize their vision.
- Center for Military-Connected Students – Mary Ann Campbell, Carissa Gentry, Kyle Hurwitz, Shannon Putman and Kristen Roy
Presidential Commission Awards
Commission on the Status of Women (COSW)
- COSW Champion of Advocacy: Jamieca Jones, Program Coordinator, Women’s Center
- COSW Champion of Communications: Laura McDaniels, Engagement Specialist, Employee Success Center
- COSW Climate & Equity Champion: Savanah Low, Coordinator, Health Promotion
- COSW Commissioner of the Year: Sophonie Bazile, Coordinator Online Student Support, Online Programs, College of Business
- COSW Volunteer of the Year: Sammy-Jo Hand, Program Coordinator, Health Promotions
- COSW Catalyst: The Parenting Network Founders – Andrew Grubb, Sarah Frankel, Michelle Henderson, Laura McDaniels, Taylor U’Sellis and Meagan West
Commission on Diversity and Racial Equality (CODRE)
- Presidential Exemplary Multicultural Teaching Award: John Chenault, Director of Anti-Racism Initiatives, Undergraduate Medical Education
- CODRE Commissioner of the Year Award: Daniela Terson de Paleville, Associate Professor, Health and Sport Sciences
- CODRE Commissioner of the Year Award: Tonia Thomas, Program Director and Advisor, School of Medicine
See photos of this year’s winners.
Read more about the 2023 Presidential Excellence Awards winners.